My First Camera,
the eyes within Kibera's slum
Participatory Photography Project conducted by Art Kids Foundation in partnership with SlumSoka, open to all female and male children residing in Kibera slum, Nairobi. It's objectives are to enable participants to discover the power of photography as a tool for communication and to understand how they can use this potential to communicate their own stories and ideas. To encourage participants to believe in the importance of their voice and the value of their way of seeing.
Kibera Slum, 2014
There are approximatly 2.5 million slum dwellers in about 200 settlements in Nairobi representing 60% of the Nairobi population and occupying just 6% of the land. Kibera houses about 250,000 of these people. Kibera is the biggest slum in Africa and one of the biggest in the world. The Government owns all the land. 10% of people are shack owners and many of these people own many other shacks and let them out to tenants. The remaining 90% of residents are tenants with no rights.